What are the advantages and disadvantages of solar power?
So, you want to know more about the advantages and disadvantages of solar power? First let’s talk a little about them. Solar panels are very common throughout the UK, but most people are unsure as to how they work! Essentially they take the energy from the sun and turn it into electricity. This is all possible with photovoltaic cells. These cells are placed between semi-conducting materials that create an electric field. When sunlight hits these cells they energise and create a current to produce an electric field.
Advantages of solar power:
- Low Maintenance- Generally speaking, solar panels, once installed, will not require a lot of maintenance. The company that installed the solar panels may also offer a warranty and a cleaning service might be available for a fee. You can however clean them yourself, but you should make sure you seek professional guidance before doing so.
- Feed-in Tariffs- You can sell the energy you make and don’t use back to the government! Click here to learn more.
- Green Energy- Not only is it green in that it produces no harmful carbon emissions, it’s renewable and sustainable.
- Save Money on your bills- In most cases using solar panels to generate your own electricity can save a great deal, if you want to find out just how much you could save, get in touch!
- Avoiding rising energy costs- It is no secret that non-renewable energy prices are rising and will continue to rise as resources become less available. Therefore, being in control of your own energy helps you avoid these price rises.]
Disadvantages of solar power:
- If you move a lot, they are not cost effective- It takes time for you to fully gain the benefits of installing solar power. It is therefore difficult to justify installing them if you move or are planning on moving.
- Expensive to buy- The cost of installing solar panels is still quite high. This means in many cases it takes a while for people to break-even and get your money back.
- Night time- During the night, no solar energy can be produced, which can be difficult in winter as the nights get darker quicker.
We hoped you learnt more about the advantages and disadvantages of solar power and you enjoyed this post! Thank you for your time!