Building Energy Assessments

The building energy assessments we offer include: DEC’s, TM44’s, EPC’s and Commercial EPC’s provided with nationwide availability.

Energy Performance Certificates

As part of our building energy assessment we offer no-hassle commercial, domestic and on construction EPCs included in our building energy assessments.

Display Energy Certificates / DECs

Greener Solutions Group can provide display energy certificates for public buildings or private organisations.

Energy Performance Certificates

As part of our building energy assessment We offer no-hassle commercial, domestic and on construction EPCs, included in our building energy assessments.

Display Energy Certificates / DECs

Greener Solutions Group can provide display energy certificates for public buildings or private organisations.

What is an energy performance certificate?

Part of our Building Energy Assessment services include EPC’s or energy performance certificates. An Energy Performance Certificate is a document, produced by an accredited Domestic Energy Assessor.

The Certificate rates the energy performance and the environmental impact of properties on a scale of ‘A’ – ‘G’. Rating ‘A’ is the most energy efficient and least impact on environment in terms of CO2 emissions, through to rating ‘G’ which is the least efficient and the maximum environmental impact.

Do I need an Energy Performance Certificate?

Most of us are now familiar with the concept of ‘A’ – ‘E’ ratings on white goods – designed to easily inform purchasers of the energy efficiency of a particular product. This concept applies to your home as well, in the form of an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

England and Wales have a legal duty to comply with a 2002 European Directive on energy efficiency. This legal duty will be satisfied through the Energy Performance Certificate, which used to form part of the Home Information Pack.  These packs were scrapped in May 2010. However, the Energy Performance Certificate part has not and you still require one in order to market your property.

What does the energy performance certificate cover?

The Certificate contains energy ratings for homes. It will outline the cost of heating, hot water and lighting in homes and will give practical advice on how to cut these costs and reduce carbon emissions. It will also provide sellers and buyers with an A-G rating on their homes.

By acting upon the recommendations, it is anticipated that the average home owner will save £300 every year on fuel bills. Recommendations could include information as to how to insulate your loft better, upgrade heating controls such as thermostatic radiator valves (TRVs) and the installation of solar panels.

Non-Domestic Energy Performance Certificates

What is a non-domestic EPC?
A non-domestic EPC, or commercial EPC, is a legal requirement! You must have an Energy Performance Certificate if:
  • you rent out or sell the premises
  • a building under construction is finished
  • there are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems

You can be fined between £500 and £5,000 based on the rateable value of the building if you don’t make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant. We can provide both a non-domestic or commercial EPC as part of our building energy assessments service!

When you must display an EPC:
You must display an EPC by fixing it to your commercial building if all these apply:
  • the total useful floor area is over 500 square meters
  • the building is frequently visited by the public
  • an EPC has already been produced for the building’s sale, rental or construction
Non domestic EPC Exemptions
You don’t need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if you can demonstrate that the building is any of these:
  • listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it
  • a temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less
  • used as a place of worship or for other religious activities
  • an industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy
  • a detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres
  • due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents.
Vacant buildings and demolition
A building is also exempt if all of the following are true:
  • it’s due to be sold or rented out with vacant possession
  • it’s suitable for demolition and the site could be redeveloped
  • the buyer or tenant has applied for planning permission to demolish it

Get in touch with us today for your Commercial EPC requirements, with nationwide availability of assessors to Level 4 building complexity on 0191 500 9567

On Construction EPCs / SAP

What is an On Construction EPC?
On Construction EPCs are a legal requirement for any new building and rate the energy efficiency of the building on a scale A through G. They are recorded using the Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) as specified in Part L of the Building Regulations.
The Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP)

The Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) is the methodology used by the Government to assess and compare the energy and environmental performance of dwellings. Its purpose is to provide accurate and reliable assessments of dwelling energy performances that are needed to underpin energy and environmental policy initiatives. It is used by accredited energy assessors to generate an on construction EPC for new buildings.

SAP was developed by the Building Research Establishment (BRE) for the former Department of the Environment in 1992, as a tool to help deliver its energy efficiency policies. The SAP methodology is based on the BRE Domestic Energy Model (BREDEM), which provides a framework for calculating the energy consumption of dwellings.

Part L

In 1994 SAP was cited in Part L of the Building Regulations as a means of assessing dwelling performance. Reduced Data SAP (RDSAP) was introduced in 2005 as a lower cost method of assessing the energy performance of existing dwellings. SAP, RDSAP and BREDEM are used to underpin the delivery of a number of key energy and environmental policy initiatives, for example:

How does SAP work?

SAP works by assessing how much energy a dwelling will consume, when delivering a defined level of comfort and service provision. The assessment is based on standardised assumptions for occupancy and behaviour. This enables a like-for-like comparison of dwelling performance. Related factors, such as fuel costs and emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), can be determined from the assessment.

SAP quantifies a dwelling’s performance in terms of: energy use per unit floor area, a fuel-cost-based energy efficiency rating (the SAP Rating) and emissions of CO2 (the Environmental Impact Rating). These indicators of performance are based on estimates of annual energy consumption for the provision of space heating, domestic hot water, lighting and ventilation.

Other SAP outputs include estimate of appliance energy use, the potential for overheating in summer and the resultant cooling load. To arrange an SAP and get an on construction EPC for your building(s), or to discuss Part L compliance, call us on 0191 500 9786 or click the button below.

Display Energy Certificates / DECs

What are DECs?
As a part of our building energy assessments, Greener Solutions Group can provide display energy certificates for public buildings or private organisation Display Energy Certificates (DECs) are designed to show the energy performance of public buildings. They use a score based system that benchmarks their energy usage against other similar buildings.
Public authorities must have a DEC for a building if all the following are true: It’s at least partially occupied by a public authority (eg council, leisure centre, college, NHS trust) It has a total floor area of over 250 square metres. It’s frequently visited by the public.
How long DECs last
DEC’s last for 1 year for buildings with a total useful floor area more than 1000 square metres. They last for 10 years when the total useful floor area is over 250 square metres and up to 1000 square metres. An accompanying advisory report needs to be completed every 7 years for buildings over 1000 square metres and every 10 years for buildings between 250 square metres and 1000 square metres.
Private organisations
Private organisations don’t need a DEC but can choose to get one if they want to. They may still need an Energy Performance Certificate if the building is sold or rented. Give us a call on 0191 500 9567 to arrange your building energy performance certificate. For more information, read our article, Display Energy Certificates Explained.

TM44 Air Conditioning Inspections

Air conditioning inspections – what you need to know.
A common part of Building Energy Assessments that many people forget about is air conditioning inspections. If you control the technical operation of an air conditioning system, are a building manager or owner, you are responsible for obtaining an assessment report. TM44 air conditioning inspections must be carried out by an accredited Air Conditioning Energy Assessor.
Accreditation ensures that the Assessors are professional and competent. However, there are two levels of assessment, level 3 and level 4; the Assessor must be appropriately qualified for the complexity of the a/c system, or the report is invalid. Invalid reporting is a major problem within the community of self–employed Assessors, who are also not insured and have no health & safety experience. All of our assessors are accredited to level 4 and fully insured.
When should your air conditioning system by inspected?

From April 2012 all TM44 reports must be lodged onto the Landmark database, this is mandatory. Only CLG style reports can be lodged, never accept a document in “Word” format, it cannot be lodged and is invalid. In Scotland word documents are currently allowed.

With an effective rated output greater than 12Kw inspections should have been completed by 4th January 2011 With an effective rated output greater than 250Kw, systems should have been inspected by 4th January 2009. New systems over 12 kW installed after January 2008 must be inspected within 5 years of being put into service. So, in January 2013 you will need to start having TM44 inspections on all re-fits after January 2008. Systems should be inspected every 5 years.

Be aware of partial re-fit works; if any part of an old a/c system is left in place, the site will require a current air conditioning report. If you have just moved into a space or acquired a building with air conditioning, the law states that you must have a valid air conditioning report within three months of moving in. Call today on 0191 500 9567 to book your TM44 report and ensure compliance.

To speak to one of our consultants

Greener Solutions Group Ltd.  |  Floor 5, Centre For Advanced Industry | Coble Dene | North Shields | NE26 6DE

Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy